Health, Fitness and Wellness
Connect and Grow Magazine - September 2023 - Edition 1
Strategies and Tips for health, fitness, and wellbeing
When it comes to your health, fitness, and well-being, it is important to have balance in every aspect of it your personal and professional life.
Let's Talk Food
When it comes to taking care of your body, whatever your goal maybe choosing nutritional foods to important, it can be a challenge at times when on a tight financial budget and it can feel like everything is so expensive, it can be challenging to purchase fresh fruit and vegetables for your meals along with the right amount of protein and variety; however,, it can be done and there are also fun ways of bringing nutrition into your life, such as growing your own vegetables and possibly some fruits.
Creating a small vegetable and easy-to-grow fruits can be a great experience for everyone, no matter who you are. This is great for your family; homegrown fruit and vegetables are often high in vitamins, minerals, and nutrients.
It is important to stick with the portion sizes that are right for you and your body's needs when it comes to serving sizes. In some cases, input from a dietician may be required. Always follow the directions from the right people for your dietary requirements.
Mindfulness is something that everyone can implement in their life in some way. It can be as simple as being completely present in the moment, even for 1 minute, and for those who can implement meditation, this can go on for an hour or more.
For those who have regular experience with meditation, you understand how it can help with every aspect of your life, including positive sleep habits, reduced blood pressure and increased energy.
There are different ways a person can meditate, and the goal of meditation is to a specific amount of time, be completely present in the moment and allow all the stress, tension and worry to leave your body and mind.
You may like to consider some of the following ideas for meditation:
· Going for a walk: – especially in nature, it could be by the beach, for a bush walk or a garden area. Walking in nature helps you to see what you are around and helps with keeping your mind in the moment, especially when you enjoy the scenery.
· Standing outside on the grass with bare feet: Close your eyes and allow your body to release the tension by focusing on breathing, feeling the air around you and allowing yourself to relax. Notice the sun on your face, the feeling of the soft grass under your feet. Slow deep breaths.
· Guided Meditation: Many different types of guided meditation are available for free on places such as YouTube. There may be a place near you that offers meditation classes.
· Hands in water: For some people, placing your hands in warm water and letting them sit there for a few minutes can be very calming and a form of meditation. If you use soapy water, it can be fun to watch the bubbles and their colours. It is simple and can be very effective.
· Swimming/Running: some people find that going for a swim or a run is very calming and like meditation. The release of endorphins and dopamine gives the person energy and can be relaxing, keeping their focus on their pace, breathing and more.
· Music: listening to music can be very relaxing and calming for many people. The type of music varies from person to person, and this is the beauty of each of us being the unique person that we are.
Whatever you choose as a form of meditation, including it in your life regularly can be extremely beneficial.
Creativity and Stress Management
Have you ever noticed how much fun children have when they relax and are present in the moment? Happily playing, exploring through play and being curious, in a safe manner, and then when the time comes to stop, whilst they may not always be happy about that, they are able to leave that activity behind them and move on to something else.
This is a great way to be. To be able to stop one activity and then be completely focused on the next one.
Work/life balance can be a struggle to have at times. However, it is so important for the enjoyment of life. It helps to reduce the amount of stress, and one way of doing that other than meditation is to be involved in activities that bring you joy and allow you to be creative.
Art therapy has been found to be a great way for people to express themselves and release any stress. Gardening is another way of being creative and expressing yourself by choosing what you plant and caring for your plants.
When you can express yourself in ways that are creative, you have something that helps to manage stress which then helps you to enjoy a work/life balance.
Coming up in October 2023 - Edition 2
Next Month we have Kathy Ashton - joining us as a regular writer of articles in this section.
Subscribe to Connect and Grow Magazine to be the first to have your copy.
(C) 2023 Break Free Consultancy